Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Postpartum Running

I really wanted to blog sooner than this about running after pregnancy, but
1. I just really haven't had time
and
2. I haven't gotten to do exactly what I really wanted to do.

Most people who read my blogs know that I ran throughout my entire pregnancy, both times.  This time I felt really really good exercising for the entire 9 months.  I taught Pilates for the first 4 months and cycling for 36 weeks.  Once again I ran up until the day I had her.  I knew that this would help me in many ways especially being pregnant in the winter months this time, it would help not only physically, but emotionally.  I'm so glad I was able to do this.

After I had Viv, I really felt great...like really great!  We were out an about when she was 2 days old.  When she was 10 days old, I felt good enough to go to the gym and get on the elliptical.  I knew running probably wasn't the best idea.  I was still bleeding, but not bad.  At 14 days PP, I decided I could run.  I went to the track to jog a bit.  It started pelting rain.  Must have been a sign.  About a week later, I tried again at the track.  I made it a few laps before I had to get home to V.  Without going into too much detail, you shouldn't run until you have stopped bleeding, no matter how good you feel.  Just wait.  There is a reason they want you to rest some after birth.  Your body can't handle that on top of the trauma it just went though.

At about 4 weeks PP I stopped bleeding and was able to run again (even though I hadn't been to my 6 week check up).  Since then I have been running as much as time will allow with a newborn, a 2 1/2 year old and a husband that works nights.  :)  I'm feeling great.  The only thing not going as planned (hahahaha) is the pregnancy weight falling off.  After I had Lila, I literally dropped the weight and was back in my clothes by like 8-10 days.  Not happening this time.  V is 9 weeks old and it's still lingering.  This time I am breastfeeding (successfully), so that makes a difference.  Some weight tends to stick around for reserve while breastfeeding.  I'm about 8 lbs off from where I was when I got pregnant this time.  While I'd like to get back to that, I know it's probably not going to happen any time soon.  Right now I'm concentrating on healthy eating and just getting in enough exercise to feel good.

I am trying to get more protein in my body to make myself leaner at this weight while still taking in enough calories to keep my milk supply up.  From now on, I'll be posting strength workouts and running workouts that I'm trying to do to get my bod back into better shape!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment